19 Jan HOW TO STOP LOSING YOUR MIND AND ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS by James Mapes
Sometimes in life you meet the right person at the right time, a combination which is unstoppable. This is how I feel about my colleague, Anthony Galie. What follows are our solutions for successful goals completion – combined for guaranteed success. We both acknowledge that it is easy to get motivated but challenging to stay motivated. We want to help you stay motivated.
You don’t want to lose your mind to negative outside influence; you want to use your mind to achieve whatever you focus upon.
Here is a quick summary of how your brain works:
- Your brain is constantly being rewired by the thoughts and influenced by the people you associate with and the information you take in. This new information positively or negatively molds and shapes your brain into making new assumptions and decisions and ultimately creates your beliefs and behavior. The old saying of “garbage in, garbage out” is absolutely accurate.
- You are controlled by the non-thinking part of your brain, the subconscious (90 %). This means that you want to tap into the thinking part of your brain, your conscious mind (10%). Harness your imagination to influence the subconscious.
- Emotionally charged pictures and images are the language of the subconscious. This is how you cause new information or input to stick. Also, this is where the natural skill of visualization comes in.
- The brain changes through repetition of self-talk, outside influence – such as listening to music or verbal input. All create emotionally vibrant, mental pictures and images which, in turn, guide visualization and form new neural wiring, new beliefs and new behavior.
- Write your goal down or type it in your computer or mobile device, in detail. This step is a must for successful goal achievement.
- Next, close your eyes, take a couple of deep breaths, fire up your imagination and “jump” into your ideal future, play “as if” in your imagination and visualize your goal as already completed. Ask yourself, “What has changed in my life? How does it look and what does it feel like having achieved my goal?” Be specific and detailed. You only need do this once. Now you have your “ideal-end-result” picture, image or visualization.
- Break the goal down into smaller steps and therefore smaller goals. Write them down or type them in your device. As you do, imagine what each sub-goal feels like and looks like as success.
- Make a recording. In my business coaching practice, I often make a recording, including relaxation and suggestions that the client listens to at least twice a day. Anthony has another take on it by having you record your own voice -repeating your goal over and over for five minutes. You have now created what I call a “success loop” of programming for yourself. Every time you hear it, you will automatically and without effort flash on your “ideal-end result” of success.
- Repetition is the key to success. Listen to your recording in the morning as you prepare yourself for the day. The subconscious is always listening. Listen to it as many times as you wish throughout the day, perhaps while you are walking, driving or in the gym.
The bottom line is: as you program yourself through images, pictures and emotions, you are creating a new set of expectations for yourself which will automatically lead you to notice the people, situations and opportunities which will, in turn, guide you to achieve your goal.
For example, if you were to look at pictures of Honda Accords for a few minutes and then walked around a parking lot full of cars, what make would you notice? Honda Accords of course. The same would happen if you looked at dozens of pictures of people with blond hair and immediately walked around a shopping mall. You would, of course, notice those individuals with blond hair. Think of the possibilities! It all is about what you focus on.
Your assignment: Set your goals, write them or type; visualize them “as if” already successful; make your five minute self-recording and listen to it from 2 -5 times a day.
Do this simple process and I promise you that your motivation, productivity and success will take Quantum Leaps!
Copy right@2016 James Mapes Inc. All Right Reserved
For speaking engagements, visit www.jamesmapes.com or contact 203-762-1200